Because I’m so excited to be at The National Youth Workers Convention this year, I thought I’d live blog the event to share what God is teaching me.
Session One: Mark Matlock
5 Reasons the Church Needs Youth Ministry:
1. Youth Ministry is vital to helping teens integrate into the larger intergenerational community of the church.
The church must look to intentionally integrate, target, and speak to the life of teenagers.
2. Youth Ministry resists the status quo, helping a church stay relevant in a changing culture.
Youth are always on the cutting edge. What is relevant to them needs to be relevant to the church because they are the direction we are headed!
3. Youth Ministry focuses on inviting those who are not already part of the church into the deeper narrative of God’s plan for humankind.
So many come to faith during teenage years, so we must be intentional.
4. Youth Ministry reminds the church that teens are not marginalized members of the body but are co-creators and conspirators in the divine work of the church, restoring life on earth as it is in heaven.
The church must understand that teens are a part of the body that cannot function as a body unless ALL the parts are looked after and utilized.
5. Youth Ministry helps the church focus on the way of Jesus, which goes beyond tradition, dogma, and ritual.
Unless someone is around asking why, then tradition will die. Students keep life in the body by questioning everything. In these times we can breath life into the teens and reveal the meaning and purpose behind our liturgy.